Friday 17 February 2012

Passion

It’s not even 9 a.m. and I am already tired. This project I got myself into is nice, but it’s all-consuming. Kids are always posting things, emailing me with requests for help, doubts, things they want to correct… Then I have to be online all the time in case someone shows up for the chat. I know I should have set up specific times, but that’s not possible with some of them, so I’d rather be around.
But today I just want to talk a little about all the rest: large classes, how to enhance students and interactive presentations. I don’t really have oversized classes, but sometimes teaching 25 kids can be exhausting and trying to keep their attention and concentration high for 90 minutes is not an easy task. Of course there are all types of warmers, fillers and focus activities I use. There are some very good examples in our readings but I also the ones listed at http://busyteacher.org/. They can be really fun, motivating and they always add content.
I also enjoy presentations, but one has to be careful about how to create an effective presentation. We have all talked about it in the discussion board. Still I would like to share with you this presentation “Death by PowerPoint” and also a short video, which is just an excerpt from one of Don McMillan’s talks: “Life after death by PowerPoint”. They teach you a lot using humor.

As for Prezi I really like it and even if you are no expert, there are already many presentations online that you can use. I’ll just leave here an example I used at Halloween and that can give you some ideas on how to use Prezi:  http://prezi.com/nfpshjpths5a/happy-halloween/.
Although I think Prezi is a great tool that both teachers and students like to use in presentations, I think it doesn’t really allow a variety of interactive activities as other type of presentations or as Interactive White Boards do. I’m a great fan of IWB. There are so many things you can do!
Just to finish today I would like to remind you that what really motivates our students is passion, above all our passion and our ability to make them find that passion for learning within themselves.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Luisa!

    Nice post, indeed. It names probably the most relevant issue when it comes to dealing with motivation and engagement... Passion! I will never forget that old teacher back at my high-school days who would talk about Spanish literature as if he was living among Don Quijote and all the other charcaters of the books he commented... we would sit silent all the lesson, mouth agape, and get home in the evening willing to read that book!! and no ICT back in 1981!!!
    Definitely, engagement comes when we see our teacher believing in what he or she does. Present-day resources are nothing but a sweet cherry that makes our students want to have a bite on the cake, but if the cake is tasteless, no one will convince them to taste it again! We need sugra and fruit there, and of course, the cherry as well!
    Hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Ricard, I also had a few teachers like that and I am really thankful for it. They made my day and they became my models. I just hope students (some, at least) will think of me that way. I really think that passion is contagious and I sure hope to infect as many as possible. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Luisa,

    Yes, Since we can inspire out students, we are making teaching an Art.

    Being teachers, I believe that nothing can make us happier to see the successes of our students.

    Nice weekend to you and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice thought, The!
    I like to see myself as an artist as far as teaching goes. At least I try to put all my passion and creativity at work and it feels really good.
    Luísa

    ReplyDelete