Tuesday 7 February 2012

Week 5 - Joining the Quest

Here we are in week 5, immersed in students’ tests and with an extra task that everybody will try to do, so I cannot be the exception. Aren’t there time banks where we can get a few extra hours too?
The week started with some readings on Project Based Learning, a subject I find fascinating although I must confess that I haven’t really spent much time reflecting on it. I am familiar with the theoretical principles underlying this instructional approach and I have tried it once in a while, but I have probably never been consistent enough.
I understand it has multiple advantages as it makes student more autonomous learners and helps them develop critical thinking, decision-making skills, team work, while it helps them build knowledge in a much more realistic, collaborative and effective way. It is also challenging and extremely rewarding for the students when they complete it. This type of activity makes it possible to evaluate students in a different way, focusing on strengths rather than weaknesses, emphasizing the process rather than simply the result.
It made me think of a film I often use in class: Freedom Writers. Has anyone seen it? It’s great to talk about integration, discrimination, racism, education issues and project work. It’s what that teacher did and it worked wonders.
While looking for more information on the subject, I came across this nice video about PBL that I share here with you.


There is still a lot of work ahead this week analyzing and trying to create rubrics and possibly a WebQuest, but I will come back later in the week to tell you more about it.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you again dear Luisa for sharing your knowledge. Reading your blog always makes me feel better and helps me understand many things. The You tube clip is also very enlightening and makes the PBL understandable.
    Have a nice day and week,
    hugs

    Sinikka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to get back to you only now, but this week has been terrible and it isn't over yet. It's been a battle: Luísa vs. tests and I haven't won yet. Check my other posts. I think you'll like them, too.

    ReplyDelete