Friday 27 January 2012

Let’s not “power down”!

This week has been exhausting, but also terribly challenging. First there were all those readings about Computer Assisted Language Teaching and the reviewing of some websites on listening and pronunciation. I think these issues raise several questions, though, and I’ve hinted at some in one or two of my posts. As much as we can agree that CALL is useful and reliable, we also know that there are many speakers of English as a foreign language who are fluent and have reached a high degree of perfection without ever using these methods. For some, the learning of a language seems to be almost innate, no effort needed. I have that experience with my three children: they are all quite good, but one of the twins seems to take everything easily and he hates studying grammar rules. He relies more on intuition and he is usually right. He never had special classes or training and still, he is more fluent and he pronounces most things more correctly   than the others.
And then there is the question of which English or which accent we should teach. I agree with David Crystal and think this is another challenge for us, teachers. I’m sharing a short video where he talks about this issue, but there are many others you can watch on YouTube.

While testing some of the activities on pronunciation in all those websites Robert suggested, I suddenly remembered a video I had shown my students not long ago. It is quite nice and they even tried to learn some bits. It also made them aware of how difficult English can be and how important it is to learn it right. Here it is in case you’re curious.

Another task that I enjoyed doing was reading and commenting on one of the projects from last year. It’s always difficult to judge on someone’s work when we don’t exactly know what is behind it, who are the people involved, etc. I hope I have not been unfair because I realize that creating and developing a project is always difficult and there are many variables that we cannot control. However there are always lessons to be learned, even when things don’t go as well as planned. Or especially then.

To conclude this week’s overview I just would like to point out that in every job, in every area of our life, people need to be challenged, they have to remain awake. I remember something I read by Prensky: in his book “Don’t bother me, mum – I’m learning” he says that some students don’t like school because they feel they have to power down when they get there (as many of the things they do and learn outside school are much more challenging than what they do there). I think this course won’t let us power down. Nor will our students, as I sense, in all of us, the will and the power to make learning a real challenge!

9 comments:

  1. Hello, Luisa!
    I really enjoy reading your reflections. You raise a very interesting question about the type of English accent we should teach. Personally I teach British English, but some of my colleagues prefer American English. David Crystal is absolutely right: we should make students aware of different variations of English.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Helen.
      I also teach British English, I think... Sometimes it's hard to know, because when you're using videos, podcasts or articles from many different sources, students will be faced with all those varieties and will probably pick some words, expressions, spelling, etc. I tend to accept whatever they say because even when I go to England I find British people sometimes using American expressions. I am a bit more strict about their writing, though. I think they have to try and be consistent there.

      Delete
  2. Hello Luisa!

    You unrolled the week so well! Exhausting week and challenging, too. So true for me, as well.

    And I agree about the children, why want to stay at school when their home and world out there is more interesting?

    This is the challenge for us teachers to call them back!

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Marina.
      The same way we enjoy the challenge we have here so do students want to be challenged. They want to have an active role. If they feel they are actually doing and learning something different, They will enjoy coming to our classes.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Luisa.
    I like a lot this post. To be an English teacher is something really challenging but fun since there are many varieties of English around us. My students are aware of that fact, even often ask that kind of question relating to what English they should learn and then use.
    Regarding our task to read and comment on project report, I also feel the same as you. It was also quite worrying for me to give my comments but then I learned and got new insight on how my project report is expected.

    Enjoy your weekend!
    Vita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Vita.
      Thank you for your comments. I also think that English has spread so much and taken so many forms and varieties that it doesn't belong anyone anymore. It's our lingua franca and it will keep changing and developing.

      Delete
  4. Global English... I like that term! It's been always a constant struggle to make out which accent to pick and to teach... first as a student and then as a teacher!
    I think it is quite difficult o get many of our students to follow a clear accent, as many of them will need English for some purposes where a clear identifiable accent is not required... When I taught in secondary, I always offered myself as a model (quite close to British English, I must say, but my goal was for my students to be able to be fluent and able to communicate. I did not like to coorect their final "r" sounds or rolled "t's" if they pronounced them... why? I corrected those sounds which did not occur in English speaking environments and were so common in Catalan or Spanish, our native languages.
    It's a lingua franca, you are right Luisa!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you agree. I also think that what is important is that students are able to make themselves understood. Of course I try to provide them with all the resources and models they may need to improve their speech, but I think we have to be a lot more flexible now about accents and the mingling of one or more varieties.
    See you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Luisa,
    Great post!

    I love the way you made comment on the last year project. I believe that a good critic is not always a good writer.

    A new week full of POWER, my friend.

    ReplyDelete