Friday 20 January 2012

Week 2

Here I am again, week 2 almost completed and so much to say.
I can’t help feeling a bit overwhelmed at the beginning of each week when I look at all the things we are supposed to do. I always think I won’t simply have time to do everything as well as I want to, but then I settle down to work and I seem to find the time for it all.
I believe this week has been most enriching for all of us. I know it has been so for me. I learned a lot and I seem to have become a bit of a bore telling everyone at school about all the new web search engines I now know of. Apart from the posts in the discussion boards, I have been trying some of them simply for fun and I’m amazed at the results. It is a time-consuming activity and it’ll be weeks or months before I have tried all of them, but that’s not the point really, is it? What’s good is that we now know about all these resources that are available to us and we can start using them as we need.
It was also great to work with objectives and read all those texts on the subject. I hadn’t really looked at Bloom’s taxonomy for years, since my times as a trainee teacher, so it was good to rediscover them, particularly this new adaptation to the new learning situations and all the new resources and activities available.  I must say that the most difficult task for me was exactly building measurable objectives with the precision our teachers were expecting. I had to put some more effort into the task, as we are not really used to doing it this way in Portugal, but it was challenging. I still have some doubts, though, which is probably good because it will make me more careful the next time I have to write objectives.
One of the things I like about this course is that it is making me reassess some of the things we tend to take for granted after so many years of teaching.
I also felt that our community is getting stronger with people interacting, giving feedback and encouragement. I just wish we could have our photos on Nicenet. I often feel it hard to address people whose faces I do not know, but with the help of our blogs and the photos we have there, it will progressively get easier.
Well, maybe I’ll get back here before the end of the week. Meanwhile, I can’t wait to see what is coming next.

8 comments:

  1. Great post, Luisa. I can relate to your feelings. I also feel overwhelmed and worry that I won't make it by the end of the week. I was like that at University and it's been a while since my student days. It is a little different now, since I have a job and a family and I have to juggle much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Natasa. It's good to know we're not the only ones. It's simply not in my genes to procastrinate. If I have something to do, I cannot rest until it's done. It's terrible, but also good when you see everyone getting mad because of deadlines and you don't have to worry anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lima,
    I'm trying to catch up with the course and deadlines also gets me crazy! I share with you the feeling that our community is getting stronger and I really appreciate the selfless generosity of our "webmates"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice post Luisa!! You have simply voiced my feelings,my restlessness to meet the deadlines and so on. However even I agree with you that discovering all the search engines with the help of our fellow participants is simply amazing.It is time consuming, yet very thrilling. But with the passage of time we will be able to explore the search engines both for our learning as well as for fun. But it is a nice experience altogether.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Analia. I'm sure you'll have no problems catching up. And we are here to help whenever you need. Just call!

      Delete
  4. Hello Nizara!
    Glad you enjoyed it. I think this will be an adventure, a joint-adventure and that's how we'll have to see it. See you around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Luisa,

    It is always nice to read your post first, as you bring many interesting information about our subject. Reading your refletion has given me motivation in challenging myself to express my idea into writing. I am not into writing but speaking.
    Another inspiring point is the video of Sir Ken Robinson that you chose for us to be learned. The new education conception should be able to change the old paradigm.

    Thank you Luisa for your fruitful insight.

    Regards,
    Imas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Imas.
    I think we all learn from each other and that's fun. It makes us go back a bit to our times as students and maybe it makes us understand our students better, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete